People are breaking out their rosé now that summer is around the corner. I’m a huge fan of this beautiful pink wine that has a dry, yet fruity, flavor. Sipping the chilled beverage on a patio after work sounds like my perfect set-up. I feel pretty equally about summer and margaritas, though. I get thirsty just thinking about the combination of tequila, citrus and a salt rim! I created this margarita as the best of both worlds – rosé AND tequila.
My roommate and I experimented with so many combinations to find the perfect one. Did this need Triple Sec? What about frozen strawberries? Orange juice instead of lime? Once watermelon made it’s way into the blender, the drink got it’s WOW factor. Rosé typically has hints of fruit, but also melon, in it. This allowed the flavors to balance perfectly with the alcohol. Fresh lime juice brightens the drink to make it resemble a classic margarita. If you don’t have a lime, swap in margarita mix instead for that sour bite. The sugar rim is so easy, yet it gives the cocktail an impressive presentation!
- 1 slice watermelon, chopped
- 1 ounce (half a shot) tequila
- 1.5 ounces (full shot glass, plus a little more) chilled rosé wine
- Juice from half a lime or 1 ounce chilled margarita mix
- 1 cup ice cubes for chilling
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- Add watermelon, tequila, rosé and lime/margarita mix into blender. Puree until smooth and all chunks of watermelon are blended.
- Pour mixture over a cup of ice cubes and shake until completely chilled.
- Use leftover lime, or a little margarita mix on a paper towel, to moisten the rim of your glass.
- Pour white sugar on a plate. Gently place rim of margarita glass in white sugar until coated.
- Pour chilled margarita into glass. Enjoy!
Once you try this, I would love to hear how you like it. I think this Watermelon Rosé Margarita has potential to replace the “beer-garita” as the trendy drink of the summer! If you have some rosé chilling in your fridge, give this margarita a try tonight for your Cinco de Mayo festivities. Even if you don’t, go pick one up and savor both refreshments all summer!
Love food. Love self. Love life.