The name of today’s cookie recipe captures its essence perfectly: Peppermint Meltaways. These magical treats will melt in your mouth while peppermint fairies dance in your head. You know the super soft sugar cookies packaged in grocery stores? These treats taste like tiny versions of them. They are extra soft, and the sweetness of the frosting is balanced by subtle peppermint flavored cookie. Color the glaze anything that you prefer, but I just love the bright pink contrasted by the red and white peppermint garnish.
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 c. butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 2 Tbls. butter, softened
- 1-2 Tbls. milk
- 1/4 t. peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- Crushed candy canes
- In a large bowl combine sugar, butter and extract. Beat at medium speed until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour and cornstarch. Beat until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate until firm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into 1″ balls. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets. Cool completely.
- For glaze: In small bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter and peppermint extract. Gradually add enough milk for desired glazing consistency. Stir in food coloring as desired. Drizzle over cookies. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candy.
Love food. Love self. Love life.