Peppermint chip ice cream is one of my favorite parts of the holiday season. Every year I know Christmas is around the corner when the grocery stores start carrying the pale pink and chocolate-studded ice cream. This year, after I made a no-churn java chip ice cream in honor of my mom’s birthday, I wanted to give peppermint chip a try. In an effort to lighten things up during the holidays, I experimented with using yogurt. The results were just as creamy and luscious as the ice cream version. Today, I’m on Food Network Snapchat Discover showing you how to make this holiday dessert…you have to go watch!
Making this no-churn peppermint chip fro-yo is really simple. You just whip heavy whipping cream and fold it into yogurt mixed with peppermint extract, agave, sugar and red food coloring. Fold in your chocolate chunks and freeze for at least 4 hours until it’s ready! The results create this gorgeous dessert. I tested recipes with less whipped cream, less sugar and different options, but to keep it creamy, it really is important to have a balance of fats and sugars. While the texture of the frozen yogurt appears more icy, let it sit for a good few minutes before you scoop. Once it’s softened, I like to stir a scoop around a little bit to soften even more and then scoop into my favorite bowl.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- ¼ cup agave
- ¼ cup sugar
- red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks, reserve ¼ cup for topping, chopped
- Begin whipping heavy whipping cream with a hand mixer or blender and continue blending until stiff peaks form (about 1-2 minutes).
- In a medium-sized freezer safe bowl, mix yogurt, agave, sugar, peppermint extract and red food coloring.
- Fold in half of the whipped cream until incorporated. Add second half of whipped cream and fold.
- Fold in ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Smooth and sprinkle remaining ¼ chocolate chunks on top.
- Freeze for 4-8 hours and serve!
My roommate, Danielle, and I have been enjoying this in our freezer for the last month in celebration of Christmas. We put a scoop in a mug – it’s more cozy to eat it out of there for some reason – curl up on the couch with our fur blankets and watch TV, catch up on the day and make plans for tomorrow. We just ran out of our fro-yo the other night, so I think I’m going to have to whip up a new batch! I can’t wait to hear what you think of it.
If you have the Snapchat app, don’t forget to head over to the Discover area and click through Food Network’s to watch my video today! It only lasts 24 hours, so be sure to catch it while you can. Thanks for tuning into my videos!
Love food. Love self. Love life.