Yes, it’s summer. Yes, it may be hot outside. Yes, you may think chili is only for winter.
No, I disagree.
I whipped up this 30-minute ground turkey and cayenne pepper chili for dinner and had a fiesta in my mouth. Pre-cutting the peppers made preparation a breeze. While the turkey was browning and peppers sautéing, I opened the cans of tomatoes and beans, chatted with my roommates and soaked up the aromatic smells.
One of the many snazzy benefits of working at a food company is sampling new products. I was fortunate enough to take home 3 August Kitchen meal-starter samples, 2 for burgers and 1 for chili. I also have a bottle of Morris Kitchen’s Earl Grey Syrup calling my name for cocktail experimentation (but that can only happen after June 23rd–my 21st birthday)!
The J-Chili starter really took the pressure off of seasoning the chili because all the sweet onion and spicy cayenne flavors are packed into the concentrated sauce. I simply stirred it in and had a top-notch dish in no time. Plus, the sauce is preservative free so your healthy chili is not being negated by a fake sauce.
Here’s my very informal recipe for 30-minute Cayenne Pepper Chili:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 peppers, one red and one green, diced
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed
- J-Chili Chipotle Spicy Cayenne and Onion chili starter (or any version of a chili starter)
- 1/2 cup of water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Brown ground turkey in a skillet over medium-high heat and season with salt and pepper. At the same time, sauté diced peppers in olive oil using the pot you will use for chili.
- Once the peppers have charred and softened, add browned turkey to pot.
- Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, chili starter and water.
- Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy! (Serves 3)
I hope this inspires you to defy the winter chili stereotype and whip up a simple batch of spicy chili this summer. Some cold cheese and crackers and a refreshing drink would pair perfectly with this hearty soup. Thanks for the samples, August Kitchen!
Love food. Love self. Love life.