Throughout the last year I went through a big hummus phase where I made a different flavor of homemade humus almost every week. I’ve made hummus flavors like roasted red pepper, jalapeño cilantro, roasted beet, sriracha, artichoke heart, and more. When I started to think about the other ways I could use chickpeas besides in hummus, roasting them became a new favorite thing to do. Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, have so much nutritional value and are typically less than $1 per can! Roasting them gives a completely different flavor and texture. They become a little crispy and chewy, making for a prime taco filling.
I developed this recipe months ago when I was still living with my BFF Danielle (also known as Director Danielle because of her help filming my Snapchat Discover videos). I loved the combination of avocado, roasted chickpeas and radishes, but knew that it needed one more element. I looked in our fruit bowl and saw oranges and thought, “Oh my goodness. I could be crazy or this could actually be the perfect citrus flavor!” Sure enough, I loved the sweet and slightly tangy flavor the oranges added. When Danielle gave the seal of approval, I knew we were in business!
I love this recipe because it reminds me about being creative in the kitchen. Often times the best recipes come from last minute combinations – like adding fruit to a savory taco! When you get in a rut with eating the same things over and over, how do you like to challenge yourself to try something new? I get inspired when new pairings work and feel motivated to keep developing easy, healthy and inexpensive dishes that you all will love!
- 1 avocado
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 orange
- 4 radishes, rinsed and sliced for garnish
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Dry off rinsed chickpeas well with a paper towel. In a small bowl, toss chickpeas in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Cover a baking pan with aluminum foil and pour chickpeas onto pan. Roast chickpeas for 20 minutes or until light golden brown and crispy.
- While chickpeas cook, mash one avocado with ½ juice of one lime, and a pinch of salt and pepper. (To remove the inside of the avocado, look here!)
- Make yogurt lime sauce: mix Greek yogurt, lime juice and salt in a small bowl.
- To prepare orange, segment the pieces after removing the skin and then cut into small chunks. Here is a photo tutorial!
- Once the chickpeas are done and still hot, toss in cumin, garlic powder and paprika.
- Assemble tacos: scoop mashed avocado onto tortilla, scoop warm chickpeas, add radishes and oranges, drizzle with dressing and garnish with cilantro.
You can watch me make these quick and inexpensive tacos on Food Network Snapchat Discover today. If you haven’t used the Snapchat app before, just swipe your screen to the right two times and you’ll land on the Discover section. You can watch my video for 24 hours only before it disappears, so catch it while you can!
Love food. Love self. Love life.