Ever since I read about Mexican Hot Chocolate cookies several years ago, I have been so intrigued by the combination of sweet and smoky flavors. During the holiday season of endless sweets, I was looking for something to literally spice things up a bit! The duo of chili powder and cinnamon gives this incredible flavor to the sweet chocolate. It’s not actually spicy, but rather adds a little surprise kick to the smooth decadence.
I’m making this recipe on Food Network Snapchat Discover today and you can see how quickly it comes together! Simply melt dark chocolate, stir in chili powder and cinnamon, pour into a pan and sprinkle with hazelnuts and sea salt. It’s as easy as that! When I served the bark to friends “on set” while we were filming, they were such huge fans. I also brought the bark into work one day and everyone loved the subtle hint of chili powder in the dark chocolate. Everyone went in for a little taste – slightly hesitant because of the chili powder – but then came back for a second bite. It’s amazing!
- 10 ounces dark chocolate, cubed or broken into little pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, plus a little extra
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Other utensils:
- 9x9" baking sheet or pan
- 2 strips of parchment paper
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for about 30 seconds and remove to stir. Continue intervals about three times or until chocolate is completely smooth.
- Stir in chili powder and cinnamon.
- Line your baking sheet or pan with two strips of parchment paper lined in opposite directions to ensure it's easy to pull out the bark.
- Pour the chocolate into the pan and smooth evenly.
- Top with chopped hazelnuts sprinkled and gently pressed in. Then sprinkle sea salt and a little extra chili powder on top for presentation.
- Let harden completely for several hours or overnight. Break into bite size pieces and enjoy!
Even though Christmas and holiday parties are mostly over, this would be a delicious treat to bring to a New Year’s Eve party this weekend, over to a friends house while watching football or to a girl’s night paired with some red wine. If you don’t like dark chocolate, feel free to swap for milk or semi sweet. I bought a big chocolate block from Trader Joe’s to break into little pieces. I also found the hazelnuts in the bulk food section of the grocery store where I could buy only a cup or as much as I needed!
I hope you enjoy this treat and can share with friends or family. Don’t forget to head over to Food Network Snapchat Discover to watch me make it. Just tap through until you see me in the kitchen!
Love food. Love self. Love life.