1. People don’t make eye contact on the streets. It’s game face from point A to point B. No smiling, no saying “sorry” and no chit-chat. I’ve got places to go and people to see!
2. Just because you get off at the right Metro stop does not mean you can walk up the closest flight of stairs and magically be at your destination. Your next challenge after navigating the subway is finding the right street exit. In the 10 times I have taken the metro to or from work this week, I have ventured on a different route every time. On Friday I finally figured out which one works best…finally!
3. The noise never stops. Cars driving, subways rushing, feet walking. Judging from the noises I hear from my apartment window, I can tell sirens and horns are going to be the soundtrack of my summer.
4. Even if you’re not in a hurry, walk fast and act like you are…it’s more fun. Plus, there is always a sea of humanity bumper car racing around you. Might as well win the race!
5. Never leave for work in the shoes you actually plan to wear all day, unless they are absolutely 100% pain-free. Women carry their work shoes and wear a pair of sneakers or flip-flops regardless of the clashing outfit combination. It makes the commute much less fussy and saves the tootsies from unneeded blisters.
Any plans for Memorial Day weekend? Unfortunately it’s been chilly and rainy here, but I’m hoping to catch some sunshine rays by Sunday or Monday. Central Park is calling my name. I may even get to visit the Hamptons…cannot wait to share! Safe travels.
Love food. Love self. Love life.